Stamford Catholic High School was founded by the Diocese of Bridgeport to afford Catholic co-educational schooling on the secondary level.
In 1954, the Most Reverend Bishop Lawrence H. Sheehan and the Diocese of Bridgeport purchased a twenty-six acre site on Newfield Avenue. During the 1957-1958 scholastic year, Stamford Catholic High School was constructed by the George L. Hickey Company at a cost of three million dollars. The school plant was designed to accommodate 1,200 students and contained 40 classrooms as well as a chapel, auditorium, gymnasium, library and other study facilities. Seven Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame taught 140 sophomore students at St. Maurice School in Glenbrook during the construction. On September 3, 1958, SCHS opened its doors to 700 freshmen, sophomores and juniors. Mother St. Mary Thomas, C.N.D., became the first principal of SCHS.
The Reverend Father James Desmond, a diocesan priest, was the second principal for the school year 1962-1963. His passing at the close of the first semester resulted in the temporary appointment of a diocesan priest, the Reverend Father Leo Suwinski.
The school was incorporated in 1963. During the following two years, SCHS moved quickly toward an enrollment of 1,200 students with the appointment of another diocesan priest, the Reverend Father Edward McCall, as principal. His assignment to the missions in Brazil brought about the appointment of the Reverend Father Normand Methe, a diocesan priest, as the principal in 1965. The Augustinian Recollect Fathers (O.A.R.) joined the teaching staff in 1966.
When Father Methe was transferred to St. Leo’s Parish in 1969, Sister Elizabeth Davies, C.N.D., formerly the assistant principal, became principal. Five Sisters of the Presentation order were also added to the expanding faculty. In June, 1971, the Sisters were re-assigned to other high schools conducted by their own community.
At the end of the 1971-1972 school year, Sister Davies left to begin her missionary work with the people of Appalachia. Sister Dorothy Flanagan, C.N.D., assumed the position as principal in September of 1972. When Sister Flanagan was named the principal of Notre Dame Academy in Waterbury, Mr. Joseph DiSette assumed the position of Principal. Mr. DiSette left SCHS in 1979 to enter private business.
In July of 1979 Sister Judith O’Connor, O.S.U., became Stamford Catholic’s ninth principal. In the spring of 1988, she was elected Provincial for her community, and in June left SCHS. Sr. Judith made her mark as the longest reigning Principal of the school. She was replaced by Mr. Donald Conetta, who remained until 1992.
Following the closings of two diocesan high schools, Central Catholic in Norwalk in 1990, and St. Mary in Greenwich in 1991, Stamford Catholic High School was re-named Trinity Catholic High School as part of a merger of the three schools by the Diocese of Bridgeport. The school became a regional high school serving the tradition of Catholic, co-educational secondary education in southwest Fairfield County and neighboring Westchester County in New York State.
In August of 1992 Sister Ritamary Schultz, A.S.C.J., was appointed principal and remained in the position until the end of the school year 1998. Sr. Ritamary was assigned by her community to be principal at a school in Hamden, Connecticut.
Mr. Peter Borchetta was appointed by Bishop Edward Egan as Trinity Catholic’s third principal in August of 1998. At the end of the 2001-2002 school year, Mr. Borchetta accepted a position at another private school. For the school year 2002-2003, Mr. Thomas Celestino assumed the position as Principal of the school.
A search for a new principal was begun by Bishop William Lori and Mr. Robert D’Aquila, a long-standing faculty member and Vice Principal at the school, was selected as Principal beginning with the 2003/2004 school year.
In July of 2010, the Trinity Catholic community was shocked by the news of the untimely passing of its beloved principal. The school had recently suffered the loss of its vice-principal, Mr. Kevin Sutton. Both men made a tremendous contribution to the welfare of TCHS students. A witness of this impact was the great number of graduates, former faculty members, students, parents and friends of the school who attended the funeral Masses celebrated in their honor.
Shortly after these tragic deaths, Bishop William Lori appointed the Assistant Superintendent of Schools, Mr. John Cook, as Acting Principal for the 2011-2012 school year. A search committee was formed and in March of 2011, Bishop Lori announced the appointment of Mr. Tony Pavia as the new Principal for the 2011/2012 school year. Mr. Pavia was a 1972 graduate of Stamford Catholic High School.
In July of 2014, Mr. Pavia was appointed the President of TCHS and Dr. Mark W. Karagus became Principal. In 2015 Bishop Caggiano appointed Dr. Joseph Gerics as Principal and upon his resignation in August of 2016, Mr. Tony Pavia has been appointed Interim Principal while a Diocesean search committee begins the process to fill the Principal position.