College Application Process
REMINDER: TRANSCRIPT REQUEST FORMS MUST BE SUBMITTED TEN (10) DAYS PRIOR TO FIRST DEADLINE
MEET WITH YOUR COUNSELOR
Sign up for an appointment as soon as possible to discuss your college list.
CREATE YOUR COLLEGE LIST IN NAVIANCE
Search for a school in Naviance and select 'Add to Colleges I'm Thinking About.'
Transfer the schools you plan to apply to from your 'Colleges I'm Thinking About' list to your 'Colleges I'm Applying To' list.
- In the 'Colleges' tab, go to 'Colleges I'm Thinking About.'
- Select those schools you are going to actually apply to.
- Select 'Move to Application List' and each school, select how you are applying in the drop down menu (e.g. regular, rolling, early decision, early action, etc.) If you are unsure, check with your counselor.
- Select 'Add Applications' (ignore the other options presented).
- These schools should now appear in your 'Colleges I'm Applying To' list on Naviance.
CREATE A COMMON APPLICATION (www.commonapp.org)
Please inform your counselor if you are using any other applications in place of, or in addition to, the Common App. The submisson process for additional documents for these applicaitons may be different.
ENTER TRINITY CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN THE EDUCATION SECTION OF THE COMMON APP
- Select the 'Common App' tab in the Common App.
- Select the "Education' section and complete the 'Current of Most Recent School' section. Note: You will obviously have to complete the entire Common App, but completing this section allows you to take the following steps in the process.)
COMPLETE THE FERPA AGREEMENT ON THE COMMON APP
- Add at least one college to your Common App using the 'College Search' tab. You can always delete this school - this is simply needed in order to complete the agreement.
- Under the 'My Colleges' tab, select the school you added and select 'Recommenders and FERPA.'
- Select the link for 'FERPA Release Authorization' and complete this agreement
- you must select "I waive my rights..."
- please see your counselor if you have any questions.
MATCH YOUR COMMON APPLICATION AND YOUR NAVIANCE ACCOUNT
- Go to the 'Colleges' tab in Naviance.
- Go to the 'Colleges I'm Apply To' link.
- Follow the instructions on that page to match your Common App and Naviance accounts.
- In order to successfully match your accounts, you will need to:
1. type in the same email address you used for the Common App
2. have completed the FERPA agreement on the Common App
3. check that your last name and date of birth are correct
- Once your accounts are matched, the schools you included on your Common Appllication will appear on your 'Colleges I'm Applying To' section of Naviance. If not, add them manually. These two sections must match.
REQUEST YOUR TEACH RECOMMENDATION LETTERS THROUGH NAVIANCE
Students must ask teachers in person before requesting their teachers through Naviance. Be sure to inform your counselor of your first deadline as soon as possible.
- Provide your teachers with your resume:
1. a resume is a list of your extracurricular activites inside and outside of Trinity (sports, clubs, volunteering, work, etc.). You can create your own or begin one in Naviance in the 'About Me' tab.
2. Ask your counselor or see the TCHS website for sample resumes.
3. Be sure to include the activity, what years you participated and a brief description (one to two bullets/sentences) of what you did.
- After asking teachers in person, go to the 'Colleges' tab and then 'Colleges I'm Applying To' link on Naviance.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to 'Teacher Recommendations' and click the 'Add/Cancel Requests' link.
- To request teachers, use the drop down menu and then select the teacher who is writing your letter. In the text box to the right, write your teacher a brief note and inform your teacher of your first deadline (ex: "Thank you for writing my letter, my first application deadline is November 1st.").
- Scroll to the bottom and click 'Update Requests'. Your teacher(s) will then receive an e-mail notification reminding them to write your letter.
COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATION LETTERS
All counselors will be completing letters for students. You do not have to request this letter through Naviance. However, be sure to inform your counselor at least ten (10) days before your first deadline by handing in your Transcript Request Form with your resume and self-reflection.
COMPLETE YOUR COLLEGE ESSAY
Allow ample time for the essay review process to be completed prior to your first deadline.
- Bring your finished essay to your counselor for review.
- Once your counselor has approved your essay, bring it to an English teacher for review.
SEND YOUR STANDARDIZED TEST SCORES TO YOUR SCHOOLS (SATs/ACTs)
- YOU are responsible for submitting your official test scores to schools. This can be done through the College Board website and ACT student website.
- Simply typing your scores into the Common App is NOT official.
- Note: some schools are 'test optional' and may not require the submission of test scores. Please see your counselor to discuss this option.
SIGN UP TO MEET WITH COLLEGE ADMISSIONS REPRESENTATIVES THROUGH NAVIANCE
Remember: You are only allowed to miss up to three classes for these visits. However, you are always welcome to attend during your free block. Please let your counselor know in advance if you would like to attend a college admissions rep visit but are unable to do so.
- Under 'Colleges' tab, select 'View All Upcoming College Visits,' select 'Sign Up' and then 'Sign Me Up'.
- If you are signed up in advance, your counselor will provide you with a pass on the day of your school's visit during homeroom. If you are unsure, please stop by guidance to confirm.
FINAL STEP: OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT REQUEST FORM
At least ten (10) days prior to first deadline:
- Submit a Transcript Request Form to Guidance with a list of all of the schools you plan to apply to. You can always add to this list after you submit it, but you must come down to Guidance to add any additional schools you plan to apply to.
- You must keep your counselor updated on your applications because your counselor needs to submit your transcript, the TCHS profile and recommendation letters. All of the above documents are needed in order for your application to be considered complete by your schools. It is imperative you let guidance know when you have submitted appplications and to which schools.
Note to Athletes: If you are an athlete either being recruited or looking to play at a Divison I or Divison II school, please contact Mrs. Crane about registering with the NCAA Eligibility Center.
Note on Financial Aid & Scholarships: More informaton on the financial aid process and how to apply for scholarships will be provided in the future.